Please rotate your screen to portrait for optimal viewing experience

3 Chicago cops have been indicted for the Laquan McDonald shootingby Circa News
Happening#LaquanMcDonald

One current and two former Chicago Police officers on Tuesday were indicted in relation to the fatal shooting of Laquan McDonald in 2014, according to multiple reports.

The Chicago Sun-Times on Tuesday reported Detective David March and Patrol Officers Joseph Walsh and Thomas Gaffney were reportedly each charged with conspiracy, official misconduct, and obstruction of justice.

“The indictment makes clear that these defendants did more than merely obey an unofficial ‘code of silence,’ rather it alleges that they lied about what occurred to prevent independent criminal investigators from learning the truth,” Special Prosecutor Patricia Brown Holmes said in a statement Tuesday.

Walsh reportedly resigned from the department in August 2016, while The Chicago Tribune reported March had previously left its ranks.

Many Twitter users on Tuesday voiced outrage over the charges against the three men relating to McDonald’s death.

The Sun-Times reported that the three defendants are accused of lying repeatedly so that investigators would not learn the truth about McDonald’s death.

The trio are also alleged to have mischaracterized video of the October 2014 incident in an attempt at avoiding public knowledge of the footage.

“[It] would inexorably lead to a thorough criminal investigation by an independent body and likely criminal charges,” the charges said of the film.

Chicago Police Officer Jason Van Dyke shot McDonald 16 times during an encounter between the two in October 2014.

Van Dyke was ultimately charged with murder in November 2015 after a Cook County judge ordered a police dash cam recording of the incident to be released.

McDonald was 17 years old at the time of his death, and the African-American’s shooting prompted national debate over how police officers treat the minority communities they serve.