Please rotate your screen to portrait for optimal viewing experience

A second man has been jailed for an attack in New Orleansby Circa News
Happening#Crime

UPDATE at Tuesday, June 27, 2017 at 7:58 p.m. EST:

The Times-Picayune on Tuesday reported that a second man has been jailed for a vicious attack in New Orleans's French Quarter.

Court records reportedly show that Joshua Simmons, 18, was booked into the Orleans Justice Center early Tuesday.

Dejuan Paul, 21, purportedly turned himself in Monday in connection with the same incident.

The New Orleans Police Department had been hunting the suspects of the brutal attack last Saturday, according to The Times-Picayune.

“[It’s] a robbery gone bad,” Commander Nicholas Gernon said during a press conference Monday alongside Superintendent Michael Harrison.

“If you look at the video it seems evident that they were attacked from behind,” he added of the attack on two men. “They didn’t see it coming and they did not fight back. They simply were victimized.”

Surveillance video from last Saturday’s incident in the 200 block of Bienville Street in New Orleans shows an attacker knocking a man unconscious, leaving him in a pool of blood.

The footage shows the other victim being choked and pummeled by other attackers, with at least four suspects participating in the encounter.

Twitter users on Monday voiced shock over the incident, which targeted two tourists reportedly visiting New Orleans’ French Quarter from the Boston area.

Harrison on Monday said both victims were taken to a hospital, with one man in critical condition.

“These people committed this crime out of the eyes of the police but they did not commit this crime out of the eyes of the community,” he said.

Gernon and Harrison added that police plan to pursue the case as a second-degree robbery, a crime which carries a penalty of up to 40 years in prison upon conviction.