French authorities are investigating the death of a popular fitness French blogger whose chest was punctured by an exploding whipped cream canister that was taken off the market in 2013, according to The Associated Press. The prosecutor's office said an investigation has been launched into the death of 33-year-old Rebecca Burger to determine whether a faulty siphon on a high-pressure canister used to make and dispense whipped cream was at fault.
According to the magazine "60 Million Consumers," the fitness blogger was violently hit in the chest with the exploding canister, causing her to suffer a heart attack. The magazine added that it had been cautioning the public for years of such risks since 2010.
“It is, to our knowledge, the first time there has been a death from such an explosion. ... We knew it would happen one day,” said the magazine’s deputy editor, Benjamin Douriez.
Burger's family announced her death on her Instagram, sharing a photo of the busted container.
The manufacturers of the product, Ard'time, said the canister has not been on the market since February 2013 and has made efforts to alert consumers of the problem.
“Unfortunately, there are still lots of siphons of all brands that remain potentially dangerous,” the company said.
On Thursday, France's consumer protection agency warned Thursday against the "risks" of some siphons. More than 20,000 defective products have been identified since 2010 and users were told to bring them back to the seller.